Re: Last call comments on WOFF (6)

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:21:58 +0200
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
CC: www-font@w3.org
On Saturday, March 26, 2011, 2:15:00 PM, Bert wrote:

BB> On Feb 9, 2011, at 15:59, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> Do you have specific suggestions for a formal language which

>> a) could express this, with more precision than the prose, and
>> b) developers have indicated a desire to see and use

BB> ABNF, the standard grammar notation for RFCs (see RFC 2234) would
BB> be a good choice. The beginning of a WOFF grammar could be something like this:

[...]

BB> Together that would give a
BB> programmer a good starting point to organize his code, as well as
BB> a compact reference of all fields in a WOFF file.

After discussion, none of the implementors felt that the context-free formal grammar added anything in terms of readability or clarity compared to the existing prose; particularly since it would have to call out to the prose for resolution of details anyway and could not be directly implemented.

Given the fairly large number of implementations of WOFF already existing, the WG has concluded that a context free grammar, which you indicated would be 'nice' to have, would not substantially increase implementability and would run the risk of duplication of normative sections and divergence (a point which you have also made, in other comments).

Accordingly we do not plan to add a formal grammar to the specification. Please let us know if you can accept this comment.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG