Re: [www-font] WOFF metadata - should we require (rather than recommend) the use of UTF-8?

Just for the record, some comments below.

On 2011/06/01 13:13, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Robert O'Callahan<robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM,<mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp>  wrote:
>>
>>> "Anything" is too broad to understand... Excuse me,
>>> could you give me a concrete example of the system
>>> or usecase that consumes WOFF but has some difficulty
>>> to handle an XML in UTF-16?

The requirement to support UTF-16 in XML in addition to UTF-8 was added
because there was a concern that otherwise, e.g. Japanese data might
expand considerably. That concern turned out to be mostly non-justified,
because in the arbitrary XML, there is a fair percentage of ASCII
characters. The compatibility with US-ASCII has led to UTF-8 being way,
way more popular on the Web than UTF-16. Various XML applications as
well as non-XML formats have switched to UTF-8 only. The reduction from
two encodings to one is very significant for interoperability, to the
extent that in the networking/protocol area, there is a saying
"zero-one-many".

>> Jonathan already gave an example in his first message.
>

> Hmm, maybe that example wasn't clear enough.
>
> What Jonathan is actually doing is creating a Javascript API that returns a
> string containing the WOFF metadata. So that code isn't going to be parsing
> the XML, but it does need to know the encoding so the text can be correctly
> converted to a Javascript string.

That is a good example, with one twist: Strings in Javascript happen to
be UTF-16. But that's all under the hood, nothing to worry about.

> Any consumer that needs to convert the WOFF metadata to some kind of string
> (and isn't immediately parsing the XML) will have the same problem.

Yes. Saying UTF-8 and only UTF-8 is a good solution.

Regards,   Martin.