Re: [www-font] WOFF metadata - should we require (rather than recommend) the use of UTF-8?

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 16:13:12 +1200
To: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Cc: jonathan@jfkew.plus.com, public-webfonts-wg@w3.org, www-font@w3.org
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM, <mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> "Anything" is too broad to understand... Excuse me,
>> could you give me a concrete example of the system
>> or usecase that consumes WOFF but has some difficulty
>> to handle an XML in UTF-16?
>>

> Jonathan already gave an example in his first message.

Hmm, maybe that example wasn't clear enough.

What Jonathan is actually doing is creating a Javascript API that returns a
string containing the WOFF metadata. So that code isn't going to be parsing
the XML, but it does need to know the encoding so the text can be correctly
converted to a Javascript string.

Any consumer that needs to convert the WOFF metadata to some kind of string
(and isn't immediately parsing the XML) will have the same problem.

Rob