Re: EPUB and fonts

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 16:16:16 +0100
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
CC: "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
On Monday, November 1, 2010, 3:07:28 PM, Sylvain wrote:

SG> Of particular interest is the 'Font Mangling Specification' at
SG> http://www.idpf.org/doc_library/informationaldocs/FontManglingSpec_2.0.1_draft.htm.

SG> "The proposed mechanism will simply provide a stumbling block for
SG> those who are unaware of the license details of
SG> the supplied font. "

If being unaware of the license for a font embedded in an EPUB package is the problem, then obfuscation (with a documented and easily reversible algorithm) seems suboptimal as a way to solve it.

Providing a link to (and short description of) the license looks like a better bet. WOFF would cover that, of course.

SG> Given that EPUB and Web Fonts WG reps are present at TPAC this
SG> week, I think it'd be ideal for this WG to discuss
SG> the issue and start engaging our peers at EPUB on the matter.

I agree.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG