From: rocallahan@gmail.com [mailto:rocallahan@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:11 PM
To: Tab Atkins Jr.
Cc: Chris Lilley; Sylvain Galineau; Levantovsky, Vladimir; John Hudson; www-font@w3.org
Subject: Re: Next step?

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com<mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com>> wrote:
I don't see any reason to stand against CWT, honestly.

There is one, the point about deployability that I keep bringing up. I guess I'll bring it up again:

1) An EOT-Classic font with a rootstring is not a conforming CWT font, per the latest CWT draft. (Personally I and Sylvain think the draft could be changed to allow this, but other people, including Chris Lilley apparently, don't want to do this.)
2) Most font licenses will require authors to apply some kind of same-origin restriction
3) Given (1), the only way for authors to implement that restriction for IE users will be to implement Referer checking

That means deploying CWT will in most cases actually be harder than simply publishing a WOFF (or TTF) and EOT-Classic version of the same font. (And less reliable, due to Referer headers being stripped by firewalls.) This makes CWT pointless. Maybe I wouldn't *object* to it having an official spec, but I don't see why one would support it.

Sylvain characterizes this point as "a year ago EOT was unacceptable because of rootstrings and now we're being told it's useless without them." In a sense, I agree; this is a dilemma that cripples CWT.

(Note that even if (1) was changed so that fonts with rootstrings can be valid CWT, publishing fonts in multiple formats would still be just about as (in)convenient as publishing one CWT font with a rootstring; in your workflow, just replace the tool that sets the rootstring with a slightly more capable tool that spits out WOFF (or whatever) as well. So even if CWT changes to make issue (1) moot, I would still see very little value in it.)

Rob
--
"He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all." [Isaiah 53:5-6]