Re: Next step?

From: Ben Weiner <ben@readingtype.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:03:02 +0100
To: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Hi,

Thomas Phinney wrote:
> Yes, I know that some folks want naked font support to be a MUST. But
> given that MS won't accept that, is the compromise above a reasonable
> alternative?

Hmm, well actually I do not see why after all the discussion of garden
walls, DMCA actions and so on, MS wouldn't be able to revise their
(apparently ideological) position without accepting any additional risk
to their typefaces or anybody else's. It's never too late.

That said, I am as impatient as anyone to see the interoperable format ;-)

Perhaps in time Internet Explorer will come to support the 'MAY' option,
supporting naked OTF/TTF quietly when people like me have stopped going
on about it. Right now it simply means extra work for web developers so
perhaps we should inflate our invoices and be grateful?

Cheers,
Ben

--
Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html