Re: Next step?

Ben Weiner wrote:

> Hmm, well actually I do not see why after all the discussion of garden
> walls, DMCA actions and so on, MS wouldn't be able to revise their
> (apparently ideological) position without accepting any additional risk
> to their typefaces or anybody else's.

I don't understand this statement, Ben. Microsoft's position, and that
of most font makers, is that naked font linking is an unacceptable risk
to font IP. How is that position revisable without accepting that risk?
This position is no more 'ideological' than it is that of a 'martinet':
it is the position of people who actually own a lot of font IP and have
concerns about how it is exposed. If anything, I'd characterise it as a
business policy position.

Personally, I think TTF/OTF should be removed from any W3C
recommendation because they should never have been included in one in
the first place. There should have been a web font working group to
determine such a recommendation, and there wasn't one. The positions of
numerous stakeholders was not taken into account. The objection of W3C
member companies was not taken into account.

JH