Re: Rumours of the death of "new, professionally designed typefaces" are perhaps exaggerated?

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:00:38 -0700
CC: www-font@w3.org
Robert O'Callahan wrote:

>     The idea that there should be multiple formats to reflect the
>     difference in IP or licensing status -- i.e. naked fonts for free
>     fonts and some different, probably wrapper format for non-free fonts
>     -- strikes me as daft.

> The idea that creators and users of free fonts should be forced to jump
> through hoops to "protect the IP" of third parties they have no
> connection with strikes *me* as daft.

The idea that most computer users recognise a distinction between free
fonts and non-free fonts similarly strikes me as daft, and unsupported
by any evidence that I have seen in fifteen years in this business. The
meaningful distinction to most users is between fonts that they have and
fonts that they don't have. So I remain opposed to a web font format
that encourages such users to treat any font they find in use on the web
as a font that they now have and encourages them to use any font that
they have as a web font. It is a slippery slope steep enough to appear a
precipice to most font makers and to companies that have invested
considerable amounts of money in fonts.

JH