Re: FW: EOT-Lite File Format

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:00:05 -0700
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: www-font@w3.org
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:05 PM, John Hudson<tiro@tiro.com> wrote:
> EOTC fonts should be completely ignored by all browsers except IE. It should
> be obvious that this is actually in the interests of the EOTL format,
> because if EOTC fonts are not interoperable with other browsers, this
> encourages both font makers and authors to use EOTL instead. If, on the
> other hand, non-IE browsers treat EOTC fonts as if they are EOTL, then such
> fonts will stick around much longer, just waiting for someone to sue the
> browser maker or the W3C for circumventing the rootstring mechanism in EOTC.

I agree. If I were an open source and free software advocate, I would
have zero interest in having my browser support EOTC. Not supporting
EOTC would be a cleaner break and put some pressure on those few web
sites using EOTC to move to EOTL.

I'm going to comment on the DMCA stuff in another message.

Cheers,