RE: FW: EOT-Lite File Format

Sunday, August 02, 2009 John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>:

John Hudson wrote:

>I also think that if you (or I) just go to font makers and say 'Will you
>license your fonts for the EOTL format as proposed here [link to John's
>1.1 draft]?', the first response you will get from a lot of people will
>be 'What about .webfont?' So you'll need to explain the context of your
>question.

Bill Davis posted a list of font-producers who are supporting EOTL. That is a place to begin. Do they have EULAs in place? Or are they just supporting the idea of it? Those are the first questions.
If there is confusion about .webfont versus EOTL, then that's a problem in and of itself and worth revealing in and of itself. If web authors are expected to respect licenses and those offering them don't really know what they should or would contain, or even what the technology is about, I'd say that's a problem.

Tal Leming wrote me:
>As I mentioned before, there are a few font vendors who follow Typophile, but not enough to consider it a place >to "engage directly"...

I heard something akin to this before with regards to TypeCon. "Not representative", I was told. Well, *you* were there, right, John? (According to some, it seems that nothing and nowhere is representative of font makers on the whole. Maybe so, maybe not, it's irrelevant.) There is always a grapevine. Word gets around somehow.
Well, it's time for word to start getting around, that's all.

Regards,

rich