Re: The unmentionable

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 07:53:28 -0700
CC: www-font@w3.org
Dirk Pranke wrote:

> Also, as an observation, it's not clear to me that the .webfont
> proposal offers anything particularly compelling over embedding the
> metadata directly into the OTF/TTF file, apart from the desktop
> interop issue

The desktop interop issue is a major one for many font makers. And it
goes both ways: preventing casual piracy of 'downloadable fonts' and
also preventing casual upload of desktop fonts not licensed for web use.

By 'casual' I mean not requiring any conscious step between observing
the license and breaking it.

JH