Re: The unmentionable

Chris Fynn wrote:

> I think we need to be clear about this, as I get the feeling there may
> still be some who primarily see all these web font proposals as offering
> some form of IP protection - even if it is only a low "garden fence".

We do need to be clear that the minimal protections at the format level
being discussed are not viable protections of font IP against any kind
of deliberate misuse. I know Tal and Erik have been very clear in
communicating this to our type design colleagues, and I think everyone
understands that we're not getting anything that would even approach
enabling a DRM business model for font licensing.

We also need to be clear that insofar as honest users do not want to
break license agreements and, in the case of corporate users, have much
to risk if they do break license agreements, the minimal protections
against casual misuse protect the user as much or more than they protect
the font data.

What the non-IE browser makers have indicated that they do not want is
technical protections of a kind that would require them to enforce
anything and potentially expose them to DMCA lawsuits. Such protections
are not on the table.

An attempt to interpret the clearly stated position of the browser
makers to imply that *any* kind of protection at all is anathema and
'will not fly', is unsupportable. The browser makers have already
indicated what kinds of protections they would be willing to accept in a
web font format. There is no fantasy 'architectural board' that dictates
what will and will not be permitted on abstract principles. There are
parties with stakes in the game who need to negotiate consensual
solutions. Which is what we are gradually doing.

John Hudson