Re: A way forward

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:15:54 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
CC: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
John Daggett wrote:

> This issue of a new font format is *entirely* a licensing issue.

Insofar as a format defines a structure that can be licensed for
particular purposes and does so in a way that enables the license to
relate in some meaningful way to the real-world, this is true. My point
was that the structural limitation that you point to is a real-world
situation that can still be meaningfully addressed at the licensing
level, even though this is not ideal.

> Creating two font
> files, a legacy EOT and a new format .webfont/ZOT, is a pain but
> it does not have this limitation.

Agreed.

John Hudson