Re: A way forward

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:44:34 -0700
CC: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Sylvain Galineau wrote:

>> That seems like an adequate speedbump; it has acceptable cross linking
>> restriction, installation in desktops is refused for such files, and
>> foundries can supply different files for desktop and web licenses. I
>> think it must be included in any summaries of the various proposals.

> Fine by me.

Not fine by me. It is a hack that relies on the fact that systems tend
to check font data for corruption before installing in local fonts
folders. This is a sensible precaution, but there is nothing anywhere
that says systems need to do such checking or exactly what kinds of
checks they need to perform. A viable web font format should not rely on
a hack that deliberately produces corrupt data that is contrary to the
font format spec or on undocumented dependencies in systems.

JH