Re: Webfont compression

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:34:33 +0000
To: Laurence Penney <lorp@lorp.org>
Cc: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Laurence Penney<lorp@lorp.org> wrote:
> Regarding the promotion of automatic gzip compression of fonts, it could
> well be a reasonable criticism that our customers may not have control over
> 'SetOutputFilter' Apache settings (or equivalent).

AddOutputFilterByType can be used in .htaccess files according to Apache docs:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#addoutputfilterbytype

It therefore should be usable on essentially all web hosts, probably
even down to free web hosts.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:47 AM, Laurence Penney<lorp@lorp.org> wrote:
> Hi Aryeh... did you mean "is a rather weak reason NOT to push a new format"

I meant that lack of compression in existing formats is a rather weak
reason to push a new format.  We already have compression right now,
it's just not universally used due to poor defaults and sysadmin
ignorance or sloth.