Re: Webfont compression

From: Laurence Penney <lorp@lorp.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:40:46 +0100
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
On 23 Jul 2009, at 01:15, John Hudson wrote:

> Does anyone have actual statistics on how much web traffic is served
> gzip compressed? I'm testing a variety of sites using the gzip test
> tool to which Laurence linked, and I'm finding more that are not
> compressed than are, but obviously this is a tiny sampling.

For anyone else running tests and gathering stats, be advised that
GIDZipTest, the compression testing site I mentioned[1], does not
follow redirects and needs to be pointed at the final URL seen in the
browser, thus:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/ <--- not compressed, but redirects to...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/ <--- compressed

http://en.wikipedia.org/ <--- crashes GIDZipTest, but redirects to...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page <--- compressed

Regarding the promotion of automatic gzip compression of fonts, it
could well be a reasonable criticism that our customers may not have
control over 'SetOutputFilter' Apache settings (or equivalent).

- L

[1] http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php