Re: .screenfonts

From: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:56:36 +0100
Cc: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
To: Gustavo Ferreira <gustavo.ferreira@hipertipo.net>
On 17 Jul 2009, at 11:35, Gustavo Ferreira wrote:

> I find it highly desirable to have some sort of standard mechanism
> to deal with different design sizes of a same typeface.

I don't think new standards or formats are needed in order to achieve
this.

It seems to me that the optical-size support available in OpenType
families (via the 'size' feature) already provides a mechanism to do
what you are asking for. All that's lacking is (a) widespread support
of this in software, beyond a few high-end DTP packages; and (b)
widespread support in typeface packages; it is available in a number
of "Pro" families but is far from commonplace. Of course, raising
interest in either of these aspects may be somewhat dependent on
seeing progress in the other. :)

JK