Re: .webfont Proposal

On Jul 8, 2009, at 11:57 PM, John Daggett wrote:

>> Note, though, that the proposal says that mismatches still allow the
>> font to be used, but suggest that UAs may offer an unobtrusive alert
>> about the mismatch.
>
> Ah, so this is root strings with "warn on load" rather than "refuse
> display on load".

Yes.

> No quite sure the user is the one who needs warning.

I can think of several scenarios in which such warnings are important
to the user.

> The maintenance headaches and need for web infrastructure changes are
> still there.

Handling maintenance headaches is what foundries do. However
complicated or easy, IMO these things are part of the relationship
between the foundry and the font licensee. With all the relevant data
in XML rather than the font binary, this can easily be automated. I
think this can also be an issue where foundries can compete with each
other on ease of use.

Which web infrastructure changes do you think are needed?

not be part of the list. It implies one has access to the file anyway.
I suggest in this case the browser should load the font and not ping
the user.

Erik