Re: .webfont Proposal

That's an interesting idea.  I'm glad that
you are in a position to carry it to foundries
and that you found them warm to the idea.

Three technical nits:

1. An "XML wrapper" is a little bit sketchy of
an idea since what is to be wrapped here is
binary data.   That's why I suggested, instead,
to use MIME.

The "right thing" here would be, I think, to
develop an XML ontology that is independent
of the representation of the file.  That is,
you can define elements like "sourcename" and
"sourceurl" just as you've done, but we can
separate concerns and worry how those look in
a file separately.

2. "licenseurl" is a bit redundant, kinda sorta.

I refer you to "ccREL":

http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/02/
  is the record of the submission and

http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/SUBM-ccREL-20080501/
  is the document of interest.  Note especially
  the section "7.3 How Tool Builders Can Use ccREL"

They offer, there, a kind of XML ontology for
precisely such purposes.  ccREL has already found
some implementation support both from content
providers and browser implementers.  I suggest
your proposal would be stronger if it drew on
that work.   (In practice, almost nothing needs
to change about your proposal in that regard.
You would just use their vocabulary instead of making
up a new one.  It should be an easy change to
make.)

3. About that "allow" tag...

If you have a look at the ccREL submission, please
consider instead using the cc:permits and cc:prohibits
relations.   Those may have the values:

   cc:Reproduction  cc:Distribution cc:DerivativeWorks

For a restricted license font, all three of those may
be declared as prohibited.  User agents are not expected
to enforce such prohibition (for they can not even
reliably recognize violations) but the notion of ccREL is
that users should be informed.  Again, see section 7.3
of the ccREL submission.

-------------------------------

Suppose that all of that is fine with you
and Erik and the font vendors.  You can separate
representation from logical structure and have a more binary
friendly format such as MIME.  You can work with,
perhaps extending, the ccREL vocabulary.

What then of the actual file format itself?

As I said, I suggest something based on MIME
because it can work with binary data nicely
(MIME as used in email does not ordinarily
include raw binary data but MIME itself can
handle it.)

And, because I think it's better to do something
simpler yet more general than to do something
more complicated yet limited, I would suggest that
the meta-data should be HTML.

A nice side effect of that is that ccREL data has a
standard representation in HTML, thanks to the
W3C recommendation for RDFa:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-primer/

Regards,
-t