Re: PDF (was Re: mailing list)

What is the name of the product that is smaller then Acrobat? ENVOY. The New
York Times seems to prefer ENVOY to Acrobat for the Web.

Author:  www-font@w3.org at huxleypo
Date:    11/8/96 4:24 AM

At 9:33 PM -0500 11/7/96, Makray Family wrote:

> > Acrobat. Get Acrobat 3 set up with your browser and see the examples
>near
> > the bottom of http://www.killersites.com/3-pdf/ . Contrary to popular
> > belief, PDFs are often smaller than the equivalent material in HTML.
>
>  You got to be kidding me?! PDF files are always aleast *200 times the
>size
> of an html page. Have you really seen a pdf file smaller than a html?

You're mistaken. Many PDFs are carelessly generated, but the format is not
inherently bloated. Yes, I've often produced PDFs of Web pages that are
much smaller than the original. Point me to 5 random URLs and I'll make 5
PDFs that are smaller as a whole.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com