Re: European Commission considers mandatory digital rights management

--On 04/03/2002 18:10 +0100 Rigo Wenning wrote:

> As long as we have so little consensus on what we want to achieve, I
> don't think, as a consensus based organization, we have a role in there.
> But this might change, if the game cool's down a bit.

Rigo, I thought that the role of a "consensus based organization"
was to _form_ consensus. Not say that "there is no consensus"
therefore we cannot do anything. I think that you will also be
surprised about how much consensus there actually is out there
on dealing with DRM. W3C even had a brief glimpse of such consensus
at our DRM Workshop in Jan 2001.

As David Parrott says, DRM won't go away, so you either do nothing
and have no say in the architecture of DRM or you do something and
make sure it works.

Cheers...Renato                       <http://purl.net/renato>
Chief Scientist, IPR Systems Pty Ltd  <http://iprsystems.com>
Open Digital Rights Language (ODRL)   <http://odrl.net>