Re: European Commission considers mandatory digital rights management

Consensus may be hard to achieve as to technical standards that is seen by some
party as 1) their private intellectual property and/or 2) is part of their
business strategy. However, I think it is much more feasable to agree on
certain basic rules of the game. Formulating these rules will eventually be a
necessity for policymakers (both public authorities and businesses engaged in
eCommerce). Technical standards will most certainly be part of the solution,
which is were w3c and other important players in the standarization field comes
into picture.

- Viveca Still

Lainaus Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>:

> As long as we have so little consensus on what we want to achieve, I
> don't think, as a consensus based organization, we have a role in there.
> But this might change, if the game cool's down a bit.
>
> Best,
>
> Rigo
>
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 04:58:43PM +0000, David.Parrott@reuters.com
> wrote:
> >
> > The problem I have in discussing DRM is that most people
> > assume it is all about "locking up" content with encryption and
> > restricting access to it.  It's a fair misconception, given the case
> > history to date.  However, the more enlightened are trying to
> > move away from that and towards an enabling infrastructure,
> > built from a mixture of legal, commercial, and technical tools,
> > that will promote business and improve the consumers lot too.
> > If that sounds too idealistic, then perhaps we should give up on
> > digital commerce altogether.  Personally, I think there is much
> > positive work to do.  DRM is in its infancy.  There have been
> > false starts.  I hope that everyone's voice is heard by legislators
> > and standards makers.  It won't go away, so let's make it work.
> >
> > /Dave.

> the
> privacy
> idea.

> encourage

> >         Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com
> >
> > Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
> > sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
> > the views of Reuters Ltd.

Viveca Still
viveca.still@helsinki.fi
tel. +358-(0)9-19122981