Re: [DOM3 Events] space key should be always "Spacebar" for KeyboardEvent.key?

On 9 May 2013 15:09, Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com> wrote:

> Siterer Wez <wez@google.com>:
>

>  In D3E the 'key' field indicates the meaning of the key in the current
>> context, so in this case it would be appropriate for it to have distinct
>> values for each of the cases listed.
>>

> I disagree. This use case is fulfilled by the D3E "char" property, no? The
> point of having the "key" property is to have a more stable reference to
> whatever physical key was pressed.

No, that's what D4E 'code' provides, hence my mentioning it below. :)

'key' describes the meaning of the key in the context of the current
keyboard layout, lock states and modifiers. If the user re-maps a key's
meaning then 'key' will reflect that, whereas D4E 'code' wouldn't.

'char' conveys printable characters resulting from input, and in the
presence of dead-keys, IMEs, etc, becomes meaningless on keydown or keyup
events - it's been proposed that 'char' on those events be replaced by
re-introducing 'textInput' events as per earlier D3E revisions.