Re: [DOM3 Events] space key should be always "Spacebar" for KeyboardEvent.key?

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 22:09:48 +0000
To: Wez <wez@google.com>
Cc: Masayuki Nakano <masayuki@d-toybox.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, Karl Tomlinson <karlt@mozbugz.karlt.net>, "Gary Kacmarcik (?????????)" <garykac@chromium.org>, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
Siterer Wez <wez@google.com>:

> In D3E the 'key' field indicates the meaning of the key in the current
> context, so in this case it would be appropriate for it to have distinct
> values for each of the cases listed.

I disagree. This use case is fulfilled by the D3E "char" property, no?
The point of having the "key" property is to have a more stable
reference to whatever physical key was pressed.

IMHO..

> The D4E 'code' field is intended to
> indicate the actual key that was pressed, regardless of its meaning in the
> current context, so that would be consistent for the spacebar, regardless
> of the generated KeySym.

The question was about the interpretation of D3E though.

> In this case I'd recommend:
> * For the "space" and "KP_Space" key-syms, generate Spacebar (NORMAL) and
> Spacebar (KEYPAD) events, respectively.
> * For the others, generate events using the corresponding Unicode code
> point for the 'key' field.

And I would suggest that setting 'char' to the corresponding Unicode
code point and 'key' to "Spacebar' is the best way to fulfil all the
various use cases.

-Hallvord