Re: DOM Keyboard Event Level 3 questions about proposal

The unmodified-keys proposal is more or less what WebKit's keyIdentifier
currently implements, based on an pre-2011 draft of the DOM Level 3 Events
spec; it suffers from the same issues as Windows' virtual key codes - codes
neither reflect the meaning of the key in the current context (e.g. the key
with "2" printed on it gives e-acute on a French layout without modifiers),
nor the do they reflect which physical key was pressed (e.g. "A" changes
position between UK & French layouts).  It also doesn't help if the user
has e.g. Hebrew or Arabic keyboard layouts.

You could address some of the issues by conveying all the meanings the key
can possibly have, e.g. 2 on a US layout would give both "2" and "@", in
each key event, but that still won't work unless you do it across all the
user's installed keyboard layouts, which creates problems of its own (e.g.
if the user has both UK-en and FR-fr installed, which key is "2" on?).

On another thread we've proposed a secondary key code scheme that assigns
layout and modifier independent codes; combining something like that with
APIs to let content query for the key "values" that a particular code would
generate under some combination of layout & modifiers would address the
concerns expressed on this thread.

e.g. an app can opt to use Ctrl+A as a shortcut if a language with a
Latin-alphabet is installed, and fall back to Ctrl+<x> where <x> is the
symbol printed on the key that would be "A" on an en_US layout, for
example, and still be able to display the right thing to the user.

e.g. a game can express the up/down/left/right keys in terms of these
secondary codes (assuming a standard PC-style keyboard), but display the
symbols corresponding to those keys under the current layout to the user.

HTH,

Wez @ Google