Re: [dom] Introduction to Events

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:24:07 +0100
To: "Sweeney, Kevin" <Kevin.Sweeney@vimeo.com>
Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:38:48 +0100, Sweeney, Kevin
<Kevin.Sweeney@vimeo.com> wrote:
> Looks good, Anne. Few suggestions that I had:
> "Objects on which
> events<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-event>
> are
> dispatched<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-event-dispatch>"
> I think "from" would be a better preposition than "on", as it fits
> better with "dispatched".

I could make it "dispatch to", but "dispatch from" seems too different
 from how DOM specifications have used this word historically. Would that

> "It is passed as argument to event
> listener<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-event-listener>'s
> callback"
> Are we planning to define/reference "callback"? This might not be
> immediately apparent to someone new to the language. At the least, it
> could be good to clarify as a callback function.

I added "(typically a JavaScript Function as shown above)".

> "Applications who wish to make use of this functionality through
> events<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-event>
> dispatched<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-event-dispatch>
> by the application (synthetic events) can make use of the return value
> of the
> dispatchEvent()<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#dom-eventtarget-dispatchevent>
> method. "
> An example could be useful here.

Added an example.

Thanks for taking a look! Changes made thus far:

Anne van Kesteren