Re: "DOM4 Events" Proposal (was: Spec proposals for Event constructors)

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:54:59 +0100
To: "Kentaro Hara" <haraken@chromium.org>
Cc: "Alex Russell" <slightlyoff@chromium.org>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Jacob Rossi" <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "schepers@w3.org" <schepers@w3.org>, "Dominic Cooney" <dominicc@chromium.org>, "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:18:04 +0100, Kentaro Hara <haraken@chromium.org>
wrote:

>> One of the ideas with event constructors was not only to introduce the
>> constructor, but also to get rid of init*Event() methods where
>> possible. So
>> ideally, e.g. the WheelEvent interface would not have the legacy method,
>> since it's (I assume) not needed for compat with existing content.
>
> Yes, we should remove init*Event() from the spec IDL. We can just note
> "Note: As events have constructors, initEvent() is superfluous.
> However, it has to be supported for legacy content.", just like the
> spec of Event (http://www.w3.org/TR/dom/#interface-event).

Those two options are mutually exclusive. Either initFooEvent() is not
needed for compat, and should be removed completely (like e.g.
initProgressEvent() http://www.w3.org/TR/progress-events/#progressevent ),
or it is needed for compat, and should be kept, like initEvent() in DOM4.

A guess is that initUIEvent and initMouseEvent are needed for compat, and
the rest aren't.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software