Re: [DOM4] Mutation algorithm imposed order on document children

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:52:22 -0400
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>, www-dom <www-dom@w3.org>
On 6/14/12 1:34 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> In my ideal world, I think we'd just disallow appending DocTypes
> entirely, but I'm sure we can't for back-compat reasons. Next best IMO
> is allowing as many DocTypes as you want wherever you want. I'm also OK
> with only allowing 1 DocType node before/after the element.

What I'm trying to understand is... if you're OK for having the "only
allow 1 doctype node" special-case, what makes it more complicated to
also check that it's before the element?  I believe you that it does,
but just trying to understand why.

> Do any of the above options seem acceptable to you?

I could possibly live with one doctype allowed to be after the element;
the other ones seem like they violate too many invariants people might
be depending on.

-Boris