Re: [DOM4] Mutation algorithm imposed order on document children

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 6/14/12 12:36 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
>
>> This is comparable in my view to enforcing that table cells always go in
>> table rows. HTML parsing enforces that, but appendChild/insertBefore/etc
>> don't.
>>

> And the result is all sorts of complications in the layout code that has
> to deal with the situation.

Would allowing extra DocTypes or a DocType after the element complicate
Gecko's implementation? It's hard for me to see how since it's a node that
doesn't actually do anything.

IMO, we should even take it a step further and not have any restrictions
>> on how many doctype/element nodes a document can hold. We just spec it
>> that the UA ignores any doctype/element nodes in the document after it
>> encounters the first node of each type.
>>

> This would significantly increase complexity in all sorts of things that
> touch the DOM, including layout.  I'm very much apposed to doing that.

I don't think it would for WebKit, but I can see that argument and don't
feel strongly enough about this to push it.