Re: [DOM4] Mutation algorithm imposed order on document children

On 6/14/12 12:36 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> This is comparable in my view to enforcing that table cells always go in
> table rows. HTML parsing enforces that, but appendChild/insertBefore/etc
> don't.

And the result is all sorts of complications in the layout code that has
to deal with the situation.

> IMO, we should even take it a step further and not have any restrictions
> on how many doctype/element nodes a document can hold. We just spec it
> that the UA ignores any doctype/element nodes in the document after it
> encounters the first node of each type.

This would significantly increase complexity in all sorts of things that
touch the DOM, including layout.  I'm very much apposed to doing that.

-Boris