DOMHighResTimeStamps in DOM events, use cases

Hello,

on Tue, 29 May 2012 20:41:08 -0700 James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>
wrote:

> Please come up with a list of cases where this timestamp would be
> useful and start a new thread on www-dom@w3.org explaining your use
> cases and how you think this proposal would help.  I agree that this
> could be quite useful.  It would probably be handled as part of DOM4
> events.

Let's start compiling a list of use cases where DOMHighResTimeStamps in
DOM events would be very useful:

#1 Synchronization of multimedia sources and animations

Accurate synchronization of several multimedia sources through events
(e.g. timeupdate) and running animations via requestAnimationFrame API
which already uses DOMHighResTimeStamp would be much easier if DOM
events provided high resolution timestamps.

#2 Accurate user-generated response-times

User-generated response times (keyboard, mouse, touch-screen) could
be gathered with sub-millisecond accuracy relative to a running
animation (RequestAnimationFrame) or a perfomance.now() high resolution
timestamp. Considering the event timestamp is defined when the event is
created, this high resolution timestamp would be sub-millisecond
accurate even if the event is dispatched late in an overloaded event
queue.

#3 Accurate event-capable benchmarks

Compare User Timing API's perfomance measures (starttime, duration)
with event high resolution timestamps to perform event-capable
accurate benchmarks.

Best regards,

--
  Pablo Garaizar Sagarminaga