Re: DOM3 Events - additional editing help to move the spec forward

From: James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:41:08 -0700
To: Pablo Garaizar Sagarminaga <garaizar@deusto.es>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "Philippe Le Hegaret (plh@w3.org)" <plh@w3.org>, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Pablo Garaizar Sagarminaga <
garaizar@deusto.es> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> on Fri, 25 May 2012 16:49:25 -0700 Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > > This is not yet an official last call, but if you'd like to re-read
> > > the spec and provide additional feedback--this is a good time to do
> > > it.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't know how and where to do this proposal. I hope
> you'll help me to find the proper place to send it.

>  During High Resolution Time working draft final call for public
> comments I wrote a suggestion about DOM events' timestamps and the use
> of monotonically increasing values provided by High Resolution Time
> API:
>
>  I would love to have the chance to get a DOMHighResTimeStamp as a
> property of an DOM event, like event.timeStamp. Events'
> timestamps are also subject to system clock skew and other problems
> mentioned in High Resolution Time working draft, and providing access
> to HRT when triggering events will be very helpful to program accurate
> interactions.
>
>  I'm not sure if this could be done adding a new property to the
> event interface (e.g., HRTimeStamp) or modifying the typedef of the
> current timeStamp property (i.e., DOMHighResTimeStamp).

Please come up with a list of cases where this timestamp would be useful
and start a new thread on www-dom@w3.org explaining your use cases and how
you think this proposal would help.  I agree that this could be quite
useful.  It would probably be handled as part of DOM4 events.

- James