Re: Simplifying element creation

From: Leigh L. Klotz, Jr. <Leigh.Klotz@Xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 19:15:16 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
I would recommending benchmarking the JDOM and XDOM designs, and reading
Elliotte Rusty Harold and Jason Hunter's writeups at
http://www.jdom.org/downloads/docs.html

The JDOM API is, aside perhaps from the very similar XDOM, the only
rational imperative programming language API I've seen for XML.
It has excellent choices for operations and methods, and the
builder-like compositional structure is close to some of Anne's proposal:

   new Element("foo")
          .setAttribute("a", "b")
          .addContent(new Element("bar").addContent("text"))

On the JSON and XML topic, in the Forms WG, we have shown a successful
round trip of JSON web service data with an XForms processor.

In the XForms processor, JSON data looks like normal XML, but the
parsing and serialization are done to JSON.  Arrays and keys with
non-XML names are represented in a succinct way which leads both to
correct operation and easy authoring with XPath.  These points are in
draft form in http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/Json and there's also
a paper on the topic from XML Prague 2011 by Alain Couthures
http://www.xmlprague.cz/2011/sessions.html#JSON-for-XForms

Leigh.