DOM Level 3 KeyboardEvent

From: Wez <wez@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:19:22 +0000
To: www-dom@w3.org
Hi,

I've got a couple of questions about the DOM Level 3 Events draft
specification for KeyboardEvent:

1.  The KeyboardEvent's "key" field contains a "key value", which reflects
the meaning of the key taking into account the current keyboard layout,
modifiers and other context, as I understand it, so that Shift+A gives
"U+0041" but A alone gives "U+0061".  Is that correct?  What should a key
produce if it has neither a character nor a function associated with it in a
given context?

2.  The "key" field is specified such that it can express keys with code
points only from Unicode's Basic Multiligual Plane, which I gather is for
ECMAScript conformance.  Is the intent to use UTF-16 surrogates for these,
as is mention in the doc, in which case an application will see multiple
KeyDown events for a single actual event, or could KeyDown and KeyUp support
ECMAScript friendly key-identifier strings for BMP, and longer strings for
characters outside that?

3.  It seems that the only way for KeyUp to work is for the key-identifier
it provides to match the one specified in the KeyDown that the key
originally triggered, rather than reflecting whatever symbol the key would
produce under the current modifiers - is that correct?  e.g. the squence
Shift-down, a-down, Shift-up, a-up should give "U+0041" as the
key-identifier for both a-down and a-up?  (BTW, the text for "keyup" seems
to be a straight copy of that for "keyup" in the draft)

Thanks,

Wez