Re: Agenda: DOM3 Events Telcon, 21 April 2010

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:57:54 -0400
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: Olli@pettay.fi, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, Olli.Pettay@gmail.com, Travis Leithead <Travis.Leithead@microsoft.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, David Bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>
James Craig writes:
> On Oct 13, 2010, at 5:56 AM, Olli Pettay wrote:
>
> > On 10/12/2010 11:12 PM, James Craig wrote:
> >
> >> I also believe that WheelEvent is an inappropriate alternative to our
> >> UIScrollRequest proposal, because ours is a semantic request from the
> >> user agent or assistive technology to the web application (which could
> >> be triggered by any number of low-level physical events), whereas a
> >> WheelEvent is a low-level physical event that is only appropriate to
> >> trigger with a pointer scroll event.
> > Why you think it is only appropriate to trigger 'wheel' using some kind
> > of pointer scroll event?
> > 'wheel' isn't bound to any particular device - that is one reason
> > why the name isn't mousewheel.
>
> If it's really the case that this is a semantic 'scroll' event and not a 'mousewheel' event, then it's misnamed.

I want focus on this specific point, because I think it's absolutely
correct.

However, a good alternative name may not be immediately obvious. At
least, it hasn't been obvious yet to me--though I'm thinking about it.

May I suggest we invite suggestions? What's a better name?

Sometimes it's easier to do the work of explicating all the behavior one
wants than to provide a meaningful name that encapsulates all that
behavior in a single word. In such circumstances the naming is often
relegated to a place-holder. I am now thinking 'wheel' is a
place-holder. But, we don't want place-holders in the final spec. We
want a good appropriate name that behaves like a good name, i.e.
triggers an immediate sense of the scope of what the category
encompasses.

Janina