spec must define more tightly what events repeat when a key is held down

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:48:41 +0900
To: www-dom@w3.org
Hi,
spec currently says:
> Depending on the system configuration, holding down a key
> results may result in multiple consecutive keydown events,
> keypress events, and textInput events, for appropriate keys

Leaving aside the grammatical mistake ('results may result'), the spec is
too vague here. Web content requires that we repeatedly send
keydown+keypress [1]. Implementations that support this should also repeat
textInput and input events after keypress.

Suggested replacement text:

"Holding down a key must result in repeating the events keydown, keypress
and textInput in this order, at a rate determined by the system
configuration."

(And I'm absolutely sure this is an issue and must be fixed, because Opera
currently breaks docs.google.com by not repeating correctly :-p)

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/