define "keyboard mapping"?

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:38:09 +0900
To: www-dom@w3.org
Hi,
what exactly does the spec mean when it says "this event type shall be
generated after the keyboard mapping"? I don't quite understand what
"after keyboard mapping" refers to. I think it might mean figuring out the
state of a character taking modifier keys and dead keys into account, but
then why does the spec say the keydown event shall be generated after a
keyboard mapping?

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/