Re: textInput --> beforeInput

From: Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner@google.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:07:17 +0900
To: Jacob Rossi <rossi@gatech.edu>
Cc: Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org>, www-dom@w3.org, ojan@chromium.org, morrita@google.com, danilatos@google.com
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Jacob Rossi <rossi@gatech.edu> wrote:

> textInput (inputMode == DOM_INPUT_METHOD_DRAG) on the source where the
> text came from
> textInput (inputMode == DOM_INPUT_METHOD_DROP) on the destination
> where the text is going
>
> As you pointed out, the targets of the two events could in fact be the
> same if you are dragging text within the same input.
>
> Another good question to ask, then, would be what happens if you
> cancel one of these events? I think it's important not to confuse
> these textInput events with the DragEvents as specified in HTML5 [1].
> In other words, I would say this:
>
> 1. The default action of the first textInput is to remove the text
> from the source. If cancelled, then the text remains. However, the
> drop still occurs.
> 2. The default action of the second textInput is to insert the text
> into the destination. If cancelled, then the text is not inserted.
> However, this has no effect whatsoever on the source element.

I guess, if the drag'n'drop operation does in fact only copy the text rather
than move it, there would be no DOM_INPUT_METHOD_DRAG textInput event (?).

Also, what is the difference to the source how a piece of text is removed?
IOW, wouldn't a single DOM_INPUT_METHOD_DELETE suffice for all operations
that remove text (delete, cut, drag,...)?

- Roland