Re: How to get reference to a served file after submitting a form?

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:24:16 +0200, bytebybyte <zgguanz@hotmail.com> wrote:
> There are pages that after you submit a form, a file of some sort is
> pushed
> from the server. Under a browser environment, you are prompted to choose
> how
> to deal with it.
> As DOM is about the automation of http handling, there should be a way to
> imitate the interchange between the user agent and server.
> I tried stand alone script with
> xmlhttp.open ("PUT", action-url, false);
> xmlhttp.send(form-name-value-pairs);
> the responsetext is but the form page itself.
> I tried using the MSHTTP and invoke a "click" event on the submit button,
> the page is opened in the browser.
> Looking up W3 and there is event-stream, but no likely the scenario,
> which
> is new and my problem should an old one.
> I have been working over one week but still at nowhere to find a way to
> get
> the file served.  Can gurus here shed me some light?
> Much thanks in advance.

XMLHttpRequest should do the trick. Are you sure that when you perform a
request you actually get the right data back? Some browsers might have
problems with PUT still I suppose, but I don't think so.

Further questions you probably want to raise on a developer forum though.
This is not a help a mailing list.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/