How to get reference to a served file after submitting a form?

From: bytebybyte <zgguanz@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 06:24:16 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-dom@w3.org
Hi,
There are pages that after you submit a form, a file of some sort is pushed
from the server. Under a browser environment, you are prompted to choose how
to deal with it.
As DOM is about the automation of http handling, there should be a way to
imitate the interchange between the user agent and server.
I tried stand alone script with
xmlhttp.open ("PUT", action-url, false);
xmlhttp.send(form-name-value-pairs);
the responsetext is but the form page itself.
I tried using the MSHTTP and invoke a "click" event on the submit button,
the page is opened in the browser.
Looking up W3 and there is event-stream, but no likely the scenario, which
is new and my problem should an old one.
I have been working over one week but still at nowhere to find a way to get
the file served.  Can gurus here shed me some light?
Much thanks in advance.