Re: Moving Form Events from DOM3 Events to HTML5

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:14 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:05:11 +0200, Steven Pemberton
> <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:50:09 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> E.g. HTML5 has a readystatechange event that is dispatched on the
>>> Document object. It does not need to refer to XMLHttpRequest for that or
>>> vice versa. They are separate events that just happen to have the same name
>>> and all the same properties.
>>
>> This is fine if they are identically named and have identical semantics.
>
> They don't have identical semantics. That is, the readystatechange events
> are dispatched for very different reasons.

I think readystatechange events all have the same semantics. While
they fire at different points in time, the semantics of "the
readystate property changed value" seems like it's always the same.

Of course, semantics is a fluffy concept, so you could also say that
the semantics for the XHR readystatechange is that "transferred
between network request receiving data to network request done". In
this case readystatechange would not make sense on for example a
FileRequest object since there's no network activity being involved.

/ Jonas