Re: Moving Form Events from DOM3 Events to HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:14:56 +0200
To: "Steven Pemberton" <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>, "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Cc: XForms <public-forms@w3c.org>
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:05:11 +0200, Steven Pemberton
<Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:50:09 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> E.g. HTML5 has a readystatechange event that is dispatched on the
>> Document object. It does not need to refer to XMLHttpRequest for that
>> or vice versa. They are separate events that just happen to have the
>> same name and all the same properties.
>
> This is fine if they are identically named and have identical semantics.

They don't have identical semantics. That is, the readystatechange events
are dispatched for very different reasons.

> But if the semantics diverge and they then both turn up in the same DOM,
> you're in deep porridge. This is one of the values of defining one thing
> once.

I certainly agree with the general idea of defining common things once.
But is that really the case here? The processing model for XForms and HTML
Forms is quite different.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/