Re: Moving Form Events from DOM3 Events to HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:14:56 +0200
To: "Steven Pemberton" <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>, "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Cc: XForms <public-forms@w3c.org>
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:05:11 +0200, Steven Pemberton
<Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:50:09 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> E.g. HTML5 has a readystatechange event that is dispatched on the
>> Document object. It does not need to refer to XMLHttpRequest for that
>> or vice versa. They are separate events that just happen to have the
>> same name and all the same properties.
> This is fine if they are identically named and have identical semantics.

They don't have identical semantics. That is, the readystatechange events
are dispatched for very different reasons.

> But if the semantics diverge and they then both turn up in the same DOM,
> you're in deep porridge. This is one of the values of defining one thing
> once.

I certainly agree with the general idea of defining common things once.
But is that really the case here? The processing model for XForms and HTML
Forms is quite different.

Anne van Kesteren