convertKeyIdentifier (was: "keyIdentifier" Sucks)

Hi, Anne-

Please change the subject line if you change the subject...

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 9/22/09 10:51 AM):
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:48:19 +0200, Travis Leithead
> <travil@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> [*]Unicode (to provide easy access to the Unicode string?)
>>
>> Scratch that last one--just noticed
>> DocumentEvent::convertKeyIdentifier...
>
> Should we really have such a method on document though? And what is the
> reason for using U+.... in the first place. Can't we just always return
> the Unicode scalar value?

The Unicode scalar value is the "U+xxxx" format (the code point).  You
might have meant the character value.  We have already decided that the
character value (if it exists) will be the attribute value.

There are potential use cases for getting each of the different formats
(for example, for Unicode code points, making sure that a character is
in a certain range, or presenting an advanced virtual keyboard, or
signaling non-printing diacritics).

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs