Re: convertKeyIdentifier

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:10:27 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Please change the subject line if you change the subject...

I thought both items were in scope for the subject. Sorry.

> Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 9/22/09 10:51 AM):
>>>
>>> Scratch that last one--just noticed
>>> DocumentEvent::convertKeyIdentifier...
>>
>> Should we really have such a method on document though? And what is the
>> reason for using U+.... in the first place. Can't we just always return
>> the Unicode scalar value?
>
> The Unicode scalar value is the "U+xxxx" format (the code point).

No it is not:

   http://unicode.org/glossary/#unicode_scalar_value

(You also seem to misunderstand code point if you think it is about its
common string representation.)

> You might have meant the character value.  We have already decided that
> the character value (if it exists) will be the attribute value.

So we will not have strings in the form of "U+xxxx" anymore?

> There are potential use cases for getting each of the different formats
> (for example, for Unicode code points, making sure that a character is
> in a certain range, or presenting an advanced virtual keyboard, or
> signaling non-printing diacritics).

That functionality seems to apply to charcter handling everywhere and is
not at all specific to event handling so I think it would be inappropriate
for the events specification.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/