Re: remedy for click event

Hi, Anne-

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 9/20/09 4:39 AM):
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 02:07:10 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
>> For reasons I've already stated, I respectfully disagree with your
>> interpretation of "deprecated", and I don't intend to apply it in the
>> case of DOM3 Events. While I am writing the spec for both authors and
>> implementers, the implications of deprecation most directly impact
>> implementers. I already use the term "deprecated" in what I see as a
>> specific and pragmatic approach throughout the spec, and unless I hear
>> from implementers that they disagree with that use, I'm not going to
>> change it.
>
> FWIW, I do find it somewhat confusing. I'm mostly familiar with this
> term due to HTML4 and there the end result was that UAs had to implement
> the deprecated features. This might not be the meaning HTML4 gave to it,
> I wouldn't know, but that is what it effectively meant.

I suspect that was more of a market decision by browsers than a matter
of specification conformance.

> I haven't checked the new DOM3 Events draft yet, but if not done so
> already, maybe explicitly indicate for each deprecated feature that it
> is also OPTIONAL for UAs to implement.

I've steered away from explicitly labeling features "optional", because
I didn't want to have a spec with optional features, especially for test
suite purposes.  But, effectively, I admit that I do intend the
deprecated features to be optional for new implementations.  Sigh.

Obviously, this is ultimately up to the working group to decide.  I link
to the definition of "deprecated" for every deprecated feature, and that
definition describes it pretty explicitly.  I suppose I could duplicate
that for each deprecated feature, but I'd like to think it's not necessary.

> Having said that, while such an approach certainly works, I would
> personally prefer it if in the end we had a specification that does not
> include the optional features or explicitly excludes them from certain
> conformance classes, or something like that.

I could define a conformance class that does not include deprecated
features.  That seems reasonable, and I think some implementers would
like that idea... they can still claim to be conforming, while not
implementing those features.

What do people think?  Should I do this?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs