Re: Deprecating DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:04:01 +0300
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Jacob Rossi <t-jacobr@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Travis Leithead <travil@microsoft.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, public-forms@w3.org
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:06:28 +0200, Doug Schepers<schepers@w3.org>  wrote:
>> As I said, I added focusin and focusout events in the same draft as I
>> deprecated DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut, because focusin and focusout are
>> supported by IE.  I chose to deprecate DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut in
>> favor of focusin and focusout because they both bubble, unlike focus and
>> blur.

focusin isn't like focus or DOMFocusIn.
 From MSDN
"[focusin] Fires for an element just prior to setting focus on that
element."

focusout doesn't sound too useful
"[focusout ]Fires for the current element with focus immediately after
moving focus to another element. "
So quite close to blur, though blur fires just before firing focus on
the new element.
I think we may want to have an event which fires before focus has moved
to anywhere.

Need to test how all the focus handling events work in IE
and elsewhere; when does the cursor actually move to the new place
etc.

-Olli