Re: Deprecating DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:06:28 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> As I said, I added focusin and focusout events in the same draft as I
> deprecated DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut, because focusin and focusout are
> supported by IE.  I chose to deprecate DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut in
> favor of focusin and focusout because they both bubble, unlike focus and
> blur.

What use case does bubbling enable that capturing does not?

> No, as Maciej said (twice), DOMActivate is essentially a subset of click
> that is only fired when something is activated.

I don't think that is sufficient reason not to remove DOMActivate. What is the use case? (The one Maciej suggested is very very weak, fwiw.)

> That existing implementations that support DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut
> should continue to do so, to support existing content that uses them,

What existing content? It is far more likely existing content uses focus and blur. At least as far as Web browsers are concerned and I think it would make sense to evaluate a solution for Web browsers here in isolation since not bloating the focus API would be great.

> but that all implementation should use the replacement events instead.
> Unless they have a market need, implementations that don't already
> support deprecated events should not support them in future versions.

Then I do not see much value in deprecation.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/