Re: Touch and gestures events

From: Sebastian Markbåge <sebastian@calyptus.eu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 03:30:54 +0200
To: www-dom@w3.org
> So perhaps there should be a new spec for touch and gesture events.
I think that's a great idea. Although I would suggest that the spec could
benefit from having various higher level events. Such as zoomin, zoomout,
scroll, rotate? Joining events like dragstart.

HTML5 drag events are currently used only for dataTransfer operations with a
target copy/move/link operation. But I would suggest that setting something
like draggable="gesture" in HTML5 could trigger the normal dragstart, drag
and dragend events on only the source node. Perhaps that could be the
default for draggable="false"?

Simply put, it would enable drag gestures which has no target.

You could use those events to implement things like sliders, resizing,
scaling, cropping, iPhone style on/off buttons etc. Thereby providing higher
level APIs for common gestures used on the web today.

/Sebastian Markbåge, Framework developer