Re: Next DOM3 Events Telcon (Time and Day?)

Hi, Maciej-

Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 6/17/09 10:42 AM):

> On Jun 17, 2009, at 2:19 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:40:24 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> May I ask, what's up with using www-dom for DOM3 Events discussion
>>> now instead of the WEbApps WG list? Did I miss a memo?
>>
>> Several, I guess.
>
> May I ask the reason for doing this?

Because of the high volume of email to public-webapps that's not related
to DOM3 Events, I was having trouble monitoring and collating the
information.  Also, some people, not aware that the WebApps WG was now
in charge of DOM3 Events, were still posting to www-dom.  I killed two
birds with one stone, and asked that we move discussions to www-dom.

>But it does not seem like a
> positive thing to require Web Apps WG members to subscribe to an extra
> list, and will likely exclude people from the discussion who could have
> useful input (as I think already happened here).

One could say the same of the whatwg list, which is not even a W3C list
and thus has even less discoverability for people wanting to work within
W3C, where the DOM3 Events specification is going on.  And yet, that
list is useful, and Hixie and others are kind enough to route emails
from that list to the appropriate W3C list.

>It also seems out of
> line with our charter, and is not reflected on our Working Group's Web
> page, which implies public-webapps is our only working list.

I've now clarified in the wiki that DOM3 Events discussion happens on
www-dom.

> If it's just from a desire to segregate list traffic for filtering/archiving
> purposes, then perhaps we could subscribe public-webapps to www-dom to
> make sure no one is left out of the discussion, including for example
> new WG members who may not know they need to subscribe to an extra list.

It's common practice and well within our rights as a WG to create as
many lists as we deem necessary to get our jobs done.  I raised the
idea, and nobody objected (in fact, some welcomed the idea); all of the
people who are actively working on the spec supported the idea.  The
fact that you didn't seem this discussion several weeks ago seems to
support the notion that public-webapps is a lot to digest.

As editor of the spec, this helps me focus, so we can get the spec done.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs