Re: window definition

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:19:05 +1000
To: Rafael Arantes <birutaibm@gmail.com>
Cc: Brad Pettit <Brad.Pettit@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Rafael Arantes:
> OK, but I think there is a mistake in this interfaces (AbstractView
> and/or DocumentView), or in the interface Document, because neither
> Document has a DocumentView attribute nor DocumentView has a Document
> attribute. There is any method (or default sequence of steps) to
> access one by another, or it's only an implementation specific
> decision that depends of other attributes defined in the
> implementation?

The AbstractView/DocumentView stuff comes from DOM Level 2 Views:

Document objects implement DocumentView.  The Window interface,
according to HTML 5, is implemented on the object that represents the
default view (i.e., the AbstractView that is returned from

So that means document.defaultView is the Window object, and
window.document (via the AbstractView::document attribute) is the

Whether that’s a sane organisation for Documents and Windows is another
question. :-)

Note also that the Window interface is specified in

but that spec has languished in favour of the Window definition in

Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/